Saturday, June 20, 2009

Medieval Battles

Lately, I have been trying to keep the family posts on my personal blog and post material related to GU and writing here. The truth, of course, is that they often overlap. As a stay-at-home dad I often play various games with my kids and often get ideas for various projects from their activities, words, and actions.


This past week DS#2 was able to go to a summer camp class at the San Antonio Academy titled "Medieval Battles"--he actually wanted to do this last year but the classes were full before we could figure out the schedule for the summer. This year, I got him in the class and he had an absolute blast.

Basically, this is a large-scale wargame using fantasy and historical troops. As you can see from the pictures, the game is very extensive. This was originally designed by Allen Hamilton and has essentially been play-tested for over 20 years now. It turns out Allen and his sons are interested in publishing the rules set for this game and I gladly volunteered to help them. Whether that help involves GU releasing the game, or simply helping them get set up to release the rules themselves, I will certainly help them anyway I can.

I am ALWAYS in favor of large tactical games that inspire the imaginations of children. If you live in the San Antonio area I strongly encourage you to find a way to get your children into one of these summer school classes. The San Antonio Academy has them every year (always run by Allen and/or one of his boys). You might want to sign up early though, they often fill up. DS#2 is already chomping at the bit to do a "Master's Class" later this summer. We'll have to wait and see whether or not we can do that. I will sign him up if I can.

No comments: