Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Okay, 4e comments

I have a few comments on 4e, but you need to take them with a "grain of salt" as I don't have the full rule books or anything.

Good:
(1) Creating and running monsters appears easier and faster than 4e.
(2) Combat involves more critters attacking the PCs and goes closer to older editions in this realm. I like this.
(3) Combat (at lower levels anyway) seems faster, or, if not faster, more actions are taken during a combat lasting the same length of time.
(4) Classes appear to have more clear cut abilities and roles. I happen to like this. I also happen to like the fact that you can't multiclass ten ways to sunday.

Not-so-Good (maybe bad, maybe just takes getting used to)
(1) More "conditions" to keep track of during combat. Not thrilled with this at the lower levels, not sure how it pans out at high levels. This is likely more of a problem for the DM than the players though. Players should be able to handle their side pretty well. I think the DM is going to need some sort of chart. I think there will be a good market for "extras" used to "mark" various conditions.
(2) VERY battle-map dependent. I usually use a battlemap anyway, but I do run encounters without maps sometimes. You need to have an entire group of people that can picture maps and positions well to run combat without a map and I just don't see an entire group able to do this.
(3) I think some of the changes to magic items, spells, magic, and rituals stand a chance of being "awkward" and difficult to get used to at first. I think this might just take getting used to, but some of the changes seem a bit contrived to me.

All in all, I do like what I have seen and used so far. I am very curious to see the "whole story."

No comments: