Monday, April 7, 2008

Kansas v Memphis

Wow, what a finals game! What a good thing for San Antonio to host this year! I love an incredible basketball game.
Right now it is a 3 point game with 56 seconds left in OT. 5 points 29.9, okay, let's face it, I can't finish this post until the game is over ;). Congrats to Kansas!

Onto other things... I am close (oh so close) to having 5 finalized products ready for release. The question of what timing the releases remains. I find it strange that even companies that do not do DnD/d20/OGL material seem to be on hold right now. A number of industry people have been telling me not to rush for April releases but to go ahead and hit May and "hit summer hard." I wish I knew enough sales history for everyone involved to know what is best. I have been aching to have product out for ages now. I'll post more on the progress and how I have set a few things up to make the whole process easier. I believe that once I start releases I'll be able to have at least one product every 2 weeks. Obviously, if sales tank, well, that'll make things more difficult.

Okay, different topic. Children's books. Books for children come in a variety of levels and require different styles of writing and artwork. Well, there is a chance for me to work into some children's books--basically, 3rd-5th grade level books, and not necessarily "fiction." I am viewing that as pretty long-term but we'll see.

Schools: we've been looking at possibly moving the kids to a different school. Right now they are at a fairly challenging Catholic school but we have some concerns about the breadth of opportunity there. The main question is whether or not DS#1 (who is in 7th grade) really has the opportunity to explore the electives he'd enjoy the most. We'll we know he doesn't really, but the core classes at this school are VERY strong. Right now DS#1 is taking Algebra I in 7th grade. At any other school I have looked at so far, the highest math offered at 8th grade is, um, Algebra I. Math is a core, required course, this means if he changed schools he would have to take Algebra I over again. After talking to the GT (gifted-talented) teacher at the local school here, it sounds like DS#2 would not be challenged either. I suppose having bright children is a great problem to have, but, strange as it is, it does pose a significant challenge. Public schools throw tons of money and extras at the kids that are failing in order to bring them up to average but only a fraction of that at the kids that are on the other side of the curve. Private schools can be better, but only to a certain level. That leaves insanely expensive and exclusive private schools (um, not going to happen, sorry) or home schooling (ack! PANIC!).
Sigh, anyway, this has been a major expenditure of energy only to discover that the kids are probably going to be back at the same school next year.
Enough for now. I'll post more in a day or two.

No comments: