Saturday, April 19, 2008

Poison Pill??

Okay, the internet is abuzz again with news of the 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons Game System License (GSL). Sounds like companies with OGL games/products will have to stop those product lines if they want to release GSL/4th edition compatible products. We'll see what the details are, but there clearly will be a license for 4th edition compatible products. It does sound like a number of the larger publishers are going to hesitate to take the "poison pill" until they see how well 4e does. I am not sure how I feel about it to be honest. On one hand, it is a reasonable thing for WotC to do, on the other, internet buzz and rumors can have an effect on sales. Companies like Green Ronin, and Mongoose have significant OGL lines to support and I am pretty sure that they won't bother with that sort of restriction. Paizo is in a similar boat but the okay'd arrangement with Necromancer Games publishing 4th edition material should work out okay.
In my mind, this pretty much hands creation of 4e compatible materials over to the new/small publishers and .pdf publishers. We'll have to see what the exact, final wording is.
I have enough plans for generic products right now that I can sit back and wait to see how things sort out.

On that note, it has been a slow week, but I think the little progress I have made is significant. I hope to have some news up on the website soon.

No comments: