Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Maps ...

Okay, I was hoping to post about a number of things but I haven't met my "work" goals for the day so this has to be short.

Maps, well, maps are killing me. I have some maps for 6 of my planned releases created by someone that I spoke to on the telephone and sent a contract to. Well, she sent me maps (pretty damn nice ones too), but no contract. The phone number I have for her is dead and there have been no responses to email that I have sent. What do I do? Well, I have one friend that claims the previous emails could be considered a contract and that I should just send a check and use the maps. Frankly, he isn't a lawyer, so this weekend I asked a lawyer (one of DS#2's teammates' dad is a lawyer) and he said, "You could try it that way, but it is very risky. It would be best to get a signed contract." He went on to tell me that without a signed contract the artist could make lots of claims, etc. Basically, his advice, don't use the maps until there is a signed contract. Then, he said he'd ask someone else in his office that dealt with more contracts than he did and email me. Well, email came in today, and the consensus is I need a contract OR another email responding to and confirming payment rates, etc. (damn, free legal advice rocks!). So.... I have sent an email asking for this to her account from 5 different email addresses (in case there is a spam blocking problem) and we'll see what happens.

Well, back to work.

No comments: