Monday, August 18, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away ...

Okay, no, really, go away so I can send the kids out of the house. Not that I won't send them out of the house anyway, but then they come in all wet and drip on the floors ...

Maps, maps, maps. Well, I decided to go with Dundjinni created maps due to the license they have right now. Well, they don't look that good after layout. Basically, the map program seems to create them at 72 dpi, this gives a rougher appearance when they get blown up a bit for layout. I am not thrilled with the results. I thought I had the problems solved but that seems to be just a simple map that I created. On-screen things look, well, I would say "mediocre" but probably they are okay, when printed on a laser printer, well, they just don't look good to me. This means that if I send them to any POD service they won't print nicely. Yes, I still have to think about printing products.

Interestingly, the products Jason Ludwig wrote AND illustrated include maps that he created. Those maps are very nice. Unfortunately, I really can't afford to have him do maps for me right now. I also know that he isn't that interested in making maps AND the last time I talked to him about it he told me he was busy. Maybe I need to talk to him again.
Anyway, I have several products edited, and even (mostly) through layout. I have a few more decisions to make. Right now I am thinking about looking for "new" maps for later compilations and using the present maps as "placeholders" in the layout for maps used in the compilations and planned POD releases through the Amazon service.

Well, back to the Olympics for now. To bad the NBC World news announced that the US men went 1-2-3 in the 400 M hurdles or that would have been more enjoyable.

No comments: