Sunday, March 16, 2008

4e Rumors??

Okay, why not post a few rumors, not enough of folks read this to make a big deal about it so it should be okay.
First, rumor has it that several people inside WotC aren't happy with the way 4e is going and are deathly afraid they have a dud on their hands. hmmm. This rumor COULD be based on another rumor I have heard about some polling done after the 4e demos at DnD Experience. RUMOR has it that over 30% of the people that TRIED the game said they would either a) not change or b) wait for a while to see how many of their friends change before buying the new edition of the game. When something like 1/3rd of the people that play your game say they are either not going to change to the new edition or are going to wait for a while first, well, that isn't a good sign.
Now, something that isn't a rumor is the replacement of the WotC CEO (link). The question is, why the sudden "resignation" and was it a resignation?? It is rather strange that nothing else was said about it. There could be issues unrelated to the game and company, but a change like this several months before the release of a major product is suspicious.

Yes, it is awful to say these things isn't it? Let me say it again, RUMORS. Let's be honest there are enough people on the internet that hate 4e before it is out that easily some of these rumors could be quite "bad." Then again, perhaps I heard a few things from some fairly reliable sources, so ... I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
I'll be buying a copy of the first three books so WotC has those sales. Can't say whether or not I'll buy more 4e material after that, but I probably will. I am sure that sales of 4e will "rock and roll" the question is, will they "rock and roll" as much as WotC is planning/hoping for or will it "rock and roll" more like a couple of kids playing Guitar Hero? Remember, for WotC PHB sales that are only 10 times as good as the next best selling game system would be terrible news (as far as they are concerned).

I have to admit that I haven't really looked over the 4e information released at the convention. I downloaded the bits that people put up on the internet, I just haven't gone through them yet. I was thinking about printing some of it out and maybe trying it out a bit with my boys this afternoon. If we get to it, maybe I'll post my own "playtest report." If we get a chance to do it, well, I don't expect the results to alter the fact that I WILL be buying the 4e core books when they come out.

Oh, one last thing, apparently the GSL STILL isn't out. Much longer and companies won't be able to get anything out for GenCon making the $5,000 expense for the "developer's kit" hardly worth it. The deadline to submit products to distributors for early fall is already past. Some of the more well-known publishers might still be able to push things into distribution for early fall, but who knows. Without distribution, the $5,000 is unlikely to be "worth it."

No comments: