Friday, January 11, 2008

Grumble ...

Well, yesterday should have been a great workday for me .... Should have been.

I had enough things to do at the kids' school along with basic bills etc. during the day that I didn't really free up any time. There was a cub scout pack meeting last night, and there is a den meeting tonight. Due to soccer my 8 year-old has only made one den meeting all year long.

This means I still need to finish doing a couple of the things I was supposed to be doing, things I started on Tuesday but didn't finish. Well, this is about my time limit on the computer, the 9 month old is getting into trouble (again).

Okay, back again for more!

People are still digesting the recent Wizards of the Coast (WotC) announcement regarding the 4e DnD OGL. Necromancer Games is going to take part so I am guessing I should be able to see the rules in about 2 months (pending signing an NDA, etc.). I really hope the new game is a good one. I haven't been very impressed with the information released so far, nor have I been impressed with their marketing. Frankly, I think their marketing has been terrible, but that is just me, what do I know?

Several of the larger game companies that have done, or started with, d20 are going to look carefully at the OGL and what is or isn't allowed before they commit. So far the companies that have openly committed include Paizo, Necromancer Games, and Goodman Games. None of that is surprising as sales of adventure material and supplements that these companies produce is clearly linked to most actively used game system. Despite internet nay-sayers and 3.5e hangers-on, most people will switch to 4e and, more importantly, if you want to get something into distribution you'll need to go to 4e. Distributors aren't taking any d20/3.5 material at all. Companies with their own game systems to support can still do fine though. Paizo, Necro, and Goodman don't, it is a no-brainer for them to pay-up and gear-up for the new edition. Other companies have some decisions to make.
Well, time for more baby playtime.

No comments: