Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year!

Okay, this is a day late. I was going to post last night but I forgot my Blogger password and, well, was lazy enough while watching football that I didn't go look it up. The New Year is shaping up to be busier than the last, but that is how I keep out of trouble ;).
I have a number of goals for the year that I plan to post up here, and I can even put a few up here right now.
First, more focus and effort on G.U.P. I plan to do this by having set workdays and times dedicated to nothing but the company. I have done this by arranging things with my wife as well as daycare time for the baby. This started working very well during December and now that the holidays are over, it should work even better.
Second, better organization and communication. I need to have better lines of communication with the freelancers that are or might be working for me with G.U.P. as well as better communication with publishers that I am working for or want to collaborate with. This means that some of the "dedicated company time" is going to be set aside specifically to send emails or make phone calls. This communication includes time on my own company forums (that I should have open for connecting to sometime soon-they are set-up, I just need to organize the topics, etc.) as well as other forums.

Those are some major, long-term goals for developing the company. I have a few other short-term goals that are somewhat unrelated. These include things like, re-do the living room (new floor, probably re-paint, new furniture--yes, I have already budgeted for these, the money has been saved in the bank waiting to get this done), re-paint the boys' bedrooms and the kids' gameroom, and probably new carpet upstairs by the end of the year.

When I really start writing things down, well, the lists get pretty long. My wife surprised me at Christmas with a new Palm pilot. I have never really used an organizer like this before, but I am truly enjoying it. I can put all of the different events for the children into the calendar, and each can have their own color. This means a simple glance at the calendar shows any overlapping events in plenty of time to make carpool arrangements and/or other driving arrangements. It is also very handy for organizing addresses, phone numbers, etc. All of those can be categorized too.

Well, I am on "bonus time" right now as my wife just took the kids out to lunch. I need to get a few things done with the extra time. I wish they were all company related, but they include such thrilling things as changing lightbulbs, cleaning up a few things, etc.

No comments: