Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Israel Martin Gomberg, You'll Be Missed

Martin was a great friend and a fantastic gamer. Sunday afternoon his wife called me to let me know that he died last Tuesday. She started apologizing for not being able to find my number sooner, I suppose that helped give me a few seconds to recover from the shock. There she was apologizing for not telling me sooner while I can tell that she is barely holding it together and, in reality, trying not to talk about it, but knowing she has to tell people. Apparently he died at work. He has had some problems controlling his diabetes and blood pressure lately, they think the combination somehow did him in. I guess he fell asleep and simply didn't wake up. I did my best to comfort Lisa, but it is difficult to know what to say. I took up telling some of the rest of Martin's gaming friends about his death and the small Memorial that was held this evening to relieve her from having to call more people and tell them about it.
I had to drag all of the kids with me to the Memorial (my wife is on-call and couldn't get out of it on short notice), which was really more of a get-together. Martin HATED things like that so it was very low key. The kids were all very good. One of the young guys that used to game with us is away at college, his father showed up on his behalf. I think that alone tells you what kind of person Martin was, and how much respect and love his friends have for him.

I guess that is probably all I want to say about this. Maybe I will say more another time.

Needless to say, no work got done today.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey patrick it's raven(martins daughter). and i wanted to thank you for posting this and wondering if you could say my hellos to anthony and alex. My email is
RJG123as@yahoo.com.

Gwen Nicodemus said...

I did a facebook search and came across this. Is this the Martin that went to high school in Lancaster, CA?

Unknown said...

Yes it is.

Unknown said...

Yes it is.