Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Politics

Well, it is "Super Tuesday" which, right now, means Texas is going to be very important to some of the Democratic and Republican candidates in the primaries this year.
For some of us, this is "Fat Tuesday" or "Mardis Gras." As one of those Catholics, I can tell you that I spent my day of pre-Lenten celebration with sick children and/or doing massive amounts of driving (yup, over 100 miles today--yeah, well, um, long story, let's just say a combination of sick kids and soccer practice played a major role). Oh well, such is life. Maybe I have a bit of scotch with a few ice cubes in a little bit.

In other notes, I have a very good, clearly dedicated freelance writer and artist working on something for me right now. I know that he is really doing this to get some credits on his list and to get some references. His dedication already gets a good reference from me.

I have avoided mentioning it, but, well, Saturday night one of my neighbors (an older woman) came by clearly distraught. One of her daughters died earlier that day. I have seen the daughter several times but not really known her, but I see my neighbors outside fairly often. This means that it is only February and I'll be heading to my second Memorial service of the year. A good friend of mine joked with me a few weeks back that he is "not your friend anymore, your friends die young, I am only your drinking buddy!"
I have to say, outliving one of your children has to be terrible, I simply can't imagine it. This poor woman was, and certainly still is, a complete wreck. Her husband (the dad), hasn't been out on his normal walks all week long. I have been distracted enough by our own sick children that I haven't gone over to see how they are doing, but this is a top priority on my list for tomorrow.
Time to finish watching the news and then head to bed, it has been a rather tiring day.

No comments: