Thursday, February 7, 2008

Strange Day

Okay, ever have one of those days were you did tons of various little things, but never got to do the bigger things that you really wanted to do? I mean, there is a certain sense of accomplishment, but yet, a lot of disappointment. I mean, I DID a lot, but I didn't get any WORK done. I feel good about what I did get done, but upset at myself for not getting more writing done.
When you have 4 children it is a pretty good bet that once one of them gets sick, the rest will get it too. My 8-year-old was sent home from school Monday morning (they called while I was taking the baby to the doctor, go figure), he finally gets to go to school tomorrow. Until this afternoon he essentially had a fever, nasty congestion, and ugly cough all week long. He still has the congestion, and only part of a voice, but no fever--more importantly no fever and no medication meant to keep it down--and claims to "feel really good Papa, I can go to school tomorrow, right?" With my luck he'll be 102 again tomorrow morning, but he really does seem better. It is strange how a virus can affect different people differently.
It is also interesting at how people look at things. I commented to my 12-year-old how his brother missed almost an entire week of school. He wasn't surprised at all because, "Papa, I missed TWO soccer practices last week!" Um, yeah kid and a day and a half of school, nice to know your priorities. Thankfully, school is easy for these two boys so missing a few days really doesn't matter, even in Middle School for the 12-year-old.
Well, we are gearing up for an "interesting" weekend. Fortunately, I guess my coaching modules and certificates for soccer last longer than I thought so I was able to cancel out on that fun this weekend. That helps a lot as it reduces Saturday to a mere, funeral service, pinewood derby, daisies tea party (thank GOD my wife takes our daughter to that), end of season basketball party for the 8 year old, and my 12-year-old will be going to a party. Strangely, the only reason any of this is a concern is that my wife is on back-up call and could be called into the hospital at any time. This means I have to have several back-up plans in place as, of course, several of these things overlap. All the plans, and back-up plans, are in place now, so, honestly, Saturday should go smoothly.

Ah well, other things. I have a submission I need to finish reviewing, it is very good. I'll be asking for a couple of minor changes, but really, it is good, different, and interesting, just what I am looking for really. The writer is a very good artist and will be able to do some of his own art for this. He is accepting way below what he'd normally get for art so I am going to do my best to help promote him. This also means that I need to get things clicking because I would like to release some things by April 30th in order to submit them to the ENnies. Don't expect much "love" there really, but at least submitting is the least I can do for him and some of the other people that have given me material to work with.

Although I didn't get much done for G.U.P. today, the few things I did get done have me pretty excited. I am getting closer and closer to finally "opening the doors." Probably shouldn't say more or I could end up looking back at this post in a few weeks and mumbling "dreamer" to myself.

No comments: