Sunday, January 11, 2009

Moving along

Well, things are going fairly well. I have a few GreatCreators books (mostly Jules Verne) in the docket but I don't want to release them yet. Why? Well, sales for these on the OneBookShelf (OBS) sites are clearly going to be slim to none and a publisher can only have so many new releases up on the "new releases" page. The honest part of it is that my Thursday releases are toward the bottom of that page right and by releasing something else I will knock my own releases off that page. This pretty much means I am going to wait.

This week I am in town and will be working away madly on several projects. Okay, let's face it, I'll be working away madly on trying to get things ready for vacation next week and trying to tuck in work on GU anytime I can. I plan to schedule some releases to go out while I am gone but still haven't decided exactly which releases those will be. Vicki Potter has been helpful enough to give me some advice on the tools at OBS so I have been trying to get familiar with those while working on other projects. I have some ideas for a few things to boost sales in the future but right now I guess I am just trying to get a semi-regular release schedule going so GU looks like it is taking this whole publishing thing seriously.

I started this at one of the worst possible times in terms of the RPG industry. I guess it is a good thing I heard all the negativity, that set my expectations low and, well, that is a good thing ;). No matter what the final result is, I am constantly learning new things and gaining new skills so I look at this whole thing as a huge bonus.

I thought I would close with some related news: I will be doing at least 1d3 4e compatible products. I still don't know if I will do them with the GSL or do them in a way that the GSL isn't needed. This evening I realized that about 3 product ideas I have could avoid the GSL altogether. The bonus is, one of them could be done in a way that is compatible with both 4e and 3e products (but using the OGL). I am going to be taking my time on this as the whole GSL vs OGL thing is, well, a pain. I have one product already sketched out in a notebook in enough detail that I really feel like writing it up. I figure that if I don't publish it myself, I can probably sell it to someone that will.

That is the news for now. I should have another small website update on Tuesday and a new City Streets location available on Thursday. I leave for vacation on Friday and will be gone for a little over a week. I plan to schedule some automatic releases through the OBS system while I am gone.

No comments: